Guys… I’ll admit, I’ve been such a slacker when it came to publishing this post, but today its *FINALLY* here!! As someone who is food obsessed and constantly sharing what they’re eating, one of my most requested posts is for Philly Vegan Restuarant Guide. This is a question I get asked about so often, and one that I could write forever on. One of my favorite hobbies is trying new restaurants. I am always the person stalking menus online, looking up new and upcoming restaurants to eat at, and searching for the best food places have to offer.
In Philly, I am incredibly blessed to live near so many amazing restaurants that serve everything under the sun. Philadelphia is a huge hub for foodies and has so much more to offer than just the cheesesteaks itâs traditionally known for. There is tons of American food, ethnic food, and food suitable for ALL diets. I’m seriously constantly thanking my lucky stars I live in a place that supports my diet, and constantly makes it easy/convenient for me to live the way I want to in terms of eating.
If you’re not familiar, vegan restaurants offer food free of animal products (aka meat, dairy, seafood, eggs, etc). I started dining at these places when I went dairy free when I was younger, and then when I went vegan a few years ago. These types of restaurants are also great for catering to gluten-free diets as well! If you have any allergies, it’s always worth checking out vegan restaurants since they make it a lot easier to find something to eat.
Aside from trying out vegan restaurants for dietary needs, they’re also typically healthier than other restaurants and truly DELICIOUS.I’ve had some of the best food of my life since changing my diet, and have absolutely loved exploring the different flavors, cultures, and ideas each of these restaurants has to offer.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m not just saying these restaurants are good because they’re vegan, I’m saying they’re good because they truly are – vegan or not. The reviews/ recommendations below are just my assessment based off of actually eating at every single one of the featured restaurants (saying that makes me realize I eat out a lot LOL). I didn’t get anything comped, spent all of my own $$, and these are my personal findings. I just wanted to mention that so you guys know my reviews are based on personal experience, and nothing else.
So, this one is for all of you Philly locals who have been passing these amazing places your entire lives and haven’t yet made it in or those of you who are planning a trip to the City of Brotherly Love and looking for the best place to get your grub on. I hope this helps you guys out, fills your stomachs, and keeps you coming back for more! Feel free to check out a little segment I did on this guide with 6ABC as well here:
25+ of the Best Vegan Restaurants in Philadelphia (a Foodies Guide!)
Vegan Restaurant Guide Key:
Blue = 50-50 (Regular menu with vegan options)
Purple = 100% vegan
20+ of the Best Vegan Restaurants in Philadelphia
Bar Bombon ($$)
- Bar Bombon is a small, but very cute with plenty of photo-worthy decor. The menu is to die for and takes a different/vegan spin on a lot of traditional Mexican delicacies. They also have amazing drinks to compliment any meal.
- Recommendation: Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos + Nachos. They also have amazing cocktails!
- Address: 133 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Honest Toms ($)
- Honest Toms is a delicious little Mexican Restuarant offering tacos, burritos, nachos, etc. It’s great for a quick and casual meal.
- Recommendation: Sweet Potato Tacos
- Address: 261 S 44th St, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Cantina Los Caballitos ($$)
- Cantina Los Caballitos has recently become a favorite of mine due to it’s diverse menu! There are meat/veggie (including tempeh, seitan, vegan chorizo) options for almost every dish. This all inclusive menu is great for when you’re dining with people of different diets.
- Recommendation: Seitan Burrito + Strawberry Margarita
- Address: 1651 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148
Blackbird Pizza ($)
- Blackbird is an entirely vegan pizza shop featuring everything from pizza to cheesesteaks, to wings, salads, and beyond. They have everything a traditional pizza shop would have. It’s heaven!
- Recommendation: Balboa Pizza (Ricotta, sausage, red pepper, pesto, SO GOOD) + Cheese Fries
- Address: 614 N 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Uncle Oogies Pizza ($)
- Uncle Oogies is a traditional pizza shop with a separate vegan menu. This makes it a great place to order when you have a bunch of different diets in the room.
- Recommendation: Sausage + Pepper Pizza
- Address: 2119 W Oregon Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19145
Charlie was a sinner ($$$)
- Charlie was a sinner is beautiful, dark, and moody. Their food is served tapa style so all of the plates are small but truly delicious. They also have some of the strongest drinks I’ve ever had, and I love going here on special occasions.
- Recommendation: Ricotta (served with toast) and the Buccatini & Meatballs
- Address: 131 S 13th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Miss Rachels Pantry ($$$)
- Miss Rachels Pantry is truly one of a kind! This restaurant offers a pre fix menu and a 5 course meal! While it’s a little on the pricer side, the restaurant only holds about 15 people so it’s a really delicious, intimate dinner. Great for special occasions!
- Recommendation: Italian Night
- Address: 1938 S Chadwick St, Philadelphia, PA 19145
- Vedge is one of my favorite higher end vegan restaurants in Philly. It’s gorgeous on the inside and so delicious. Everything is served tapas syle, and is so beautiful and detailed.
- Recommendation: Stuffed Avocado and Rutabaga Fondue
- Address: 1221 Locust St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
V Street ($$$)
- V Street is a vegan street food restaurant, hence the name. It’s tapas style, so plates are small but totally delicious! This is a fun place to go with a few friends so you can try a lot of different stuff.
- Recommendation: KFT Tacos
- Address: 126 S 19th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
PS & Co ($$$)
- Farmicia is a beautiful, farm to table restaurant in old city. This is a perfect place to go with people of all diets as there’s a regular American menu, and 4-5 vegan options.
- Recommendation: Mushroom Risotto Croquettes
- Address: 15 S 3rd St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
Royal Tavern ($$)
- Royal Tavern is a restaurant/bar. It’s definitely on the casual side so it’s perfect for watching the game, grabbing food after being out at night, or just getting a quick bite to eat. Offers vegan/non-vegan food.
- Recommendation: Buffalo Seitan Wings (best I’ve ever had)
- Address: 937 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Triangle Tavern ($$)
- Similar to Royal Tavern, Triangle Tavern is a restaurant/bar. It’s very casual and comfortable inside. They offer vegan/non-vegan food but the menu is big eough that there are lots of options for both.
- Recommendation: Vegan Mozzarella Sticks + Vegan Crab Cake Sandwich
- Address: 1338 S 10th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Tattooed Mom ($)
- Tattooed Mom is super fun and eclectic. It’s seat yourself, and there are all different random tables inside. There are also couches, and a few other comfy areas to sit if you come with a bigger crowd. Sadly, since there is a bar up front it’s normally packed and food takes a while to get to you. I’d recommendd calling ahead and taking food out – it’s what I normally do.
- Recommendation: Perogies + Pickle Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Address: 530 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Royal Tavern ($)
- The Royal Tavern has a very similar vibe to the Triangle Tavern shared above. It’s a typical bar with hip edge of having really delicious food! The Royal Tavern is great for after a night of being out when you’re hungry and just want some good ole’ bar food.
- Recommendation: Vegan Wings + a beer
- Address: 937 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Second District Brewing Company ($)
- Second District Brewing is so interesting and honestly such a delight. It’s a small place with a bar spanning the entire side, and offers tons of different beer on tap. They also offer flights of beer, and other fun tasting options. The best part about this place? The food. They offer a nice list of bar food classics, loaded with vegan/non vegan options. Second District is great to head to in the summer with some friends to get a beer and a cheap bite.
- Recommendation: Vegan Pulled BBQ Sandwich + Buffalo Cauliflower
- Address: 1939 S Bancroft St, Philadelphia, PA 19145
Dimsum Garden ($)
- Dimsum Garden is a traditional Dimsum restaurant with tons of options! It’s fun to go with a big group and a bunch of different stuff. It’s also really inexpensive & budget friendly.
- Recommendation: Veggie Soup Dumplings + Scallion Pancakes
- Address: 1020 Race St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- If you guys follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen me post about Yamitsuki a million times. It’s my favorite ramen spot in the city! You never have to wait for a table, it’s super new and clean, and the food is amazing. Tons of veg/non-veg options.
- Recommendation: Veggie Tempura Maki + Miso Yasai Vegetable Ramen
- Address: 1028 Arch St #19107, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Stock is a quick dine in / take out ramen place. It’s small so there are only a few tables, but the food is really good. Decently sized veg/non-veg menu.
- Recommendation: Coconut Curry Ramen
- Address: 308 E Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125
- Indeblue is my favorite Indian place in Philly. It’s beautiful inside, always delicious, and the menu is huge.
- Recommendation: Aloo Gohbi Matar
- Address: 205 S 13th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Another good Indian restaurant. While Tiffin feels a bit less authentic since it’s a chain, it’s really reasonably priced and super delicious. I love to take out food from here.
- Recommendation: Chana Masala
- Address: 710 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Hip City Veg ($)
- Hip City Veg is one of those vegan places that is loved by just about everyone. Plenty of my non-veg friends are obsessed with it as they offer everyone’s ultimate cravings like Fried Chick’n Ranch Sandwiches, Fries, and Milkshakes. I frequent HCV more often than any other place in the city.
- Recommendation: The Crispy HipCity Ranch + the Milkshake of the day
- Address (there are 3 locations but here is my favorite): 127 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Goldie is another casual take out spot with “fast food” vibes that will make all of your veg dreams come true. The menu is small and focuses mainly on falafel wraps or salads that seriously can’t be beat. They also have Tehina Shakes (milkshakes) that are to DIE FOR.
- Recommendation: Falafel Wrap + the Turkish Coffee Shake
- Address: 1526 Sansom St, Philadelphia, PA 19102
Wiz Kid ($$)
- Wiz Kid feels like a Philly classic “steak shop” and offers different kinds of cheesesteaks, fries, lots of sandwiches, and salads. It’s small inside so this another place I like to take out from.
- Recommendation: The Wiz Fries (INSANE) + the CFT sandwich
- Address: 124 S 19th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Sweet Green ($)
- Sweet Green has exactly what you think it will from hearing the name: big ole’ salads and bowls. Now, just because it’s a salad, don’t let it fool you. All of their bowls are DELICIOUS. I love going to SW when I’m craving something healthy and hearty. Their bowls are also huge and are great for lunch/dinner.
- Recommendation: The Shroomami Warm Bowl
- Address: 1821 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
The Pop Shop ($)
- The Pop Shop is a favorite of mine! It has a retro vibe and is painted in pastel colors, it reminds you of an old school ice- cream parlor. While the crowd tends to be parents with kids since there are a lot of kid favorites like grilled cheese, I still love to go here for my favorite comfort foods.
- Recommendation: Vegan Cheesesteak + Peanut Butter Soy Milkshake
- Address (There are 2 locations but here is my favorite. This is super easy access from the Patco train as Collingswood is one of the stops): 729 Haddon Ave, Collingswood, NJ 08108
Front Street Cafe ($$)
- Front Street Cafe is one of the first places I visited when I changed my diet and loved it off the bat. Their menu is split really evenly / half vegan, half not, which makes it great for bringing anyone and everyone. It is a little hard to park in that area so I’d recommend going during an off day or for brunch rather than dinner.
- Recommendation: Vegan Fried Mozzarella + Buffalo Cauliflower
- Address: 1253 N Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19122
The Tasty ($)
- Since I’m in South Philly a lot, you can often find me at The Tasty. It’s a dope little vegan diner that offers everything you’d want at a traditional diner (pancakes, eggs, grits, bacon, pastries, etc). It is small inside and ridiculously crowded on weekends so this is another place I often take food out at unless I go on off times.
- Recommendation: The Dexlue Breakfast Wrap + Tots
- Address: 1401 S 12th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Soy Cafe ($$)
- Located in Northern Liberties outside of Center City, Soy Cafe is awesome since it offers a little bit of everything. They have lots of wraps, smoothies, salads, etc. It’s a great place to stop in for a quick, delicious bite.
- Recommendation: Bella Burger
- Address: 630 N 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Grindcore House ($)
- The Grindcore House is the only all-vegan coffee shop in Philly/anywhere I know of. They offer all of your traditional coffee shop must-haves like bagels w/ cream cheese, lattes, and loads of pastries. Against my better health judgment, I get a slice of cake to go with my hot chocolate almost every time I’m in! They also have a room in the back to sit or work.
- Recommendation: Hot Chocolate + featured cake
- Address: 1515 S 4th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Sabrina’s Cafe ($)
- Sabrina’s is an awesome restaurant offering all different types of food. Their menu is also regular/vegan-friendly so it’s great for everyone! They have a massive breakfast menu which makes it great for brunch dates, & they also have tons of dinner/lunch offerings as well!
- Recommendation: Vegan Philly Cheesesteak + Sweet Potato fries (with powdered sugar!)
- Address: 1804 Callowhill St, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Hip City Veg ($)
- Check above for full details. Aside from lunch/dinner food, I often go to HCV for milkshakes + sweets. They have the best after dinner shakes, and always offer a cupcake or brownie.
Little Baby’s Ice-cream ($)
- Little Baby’s Ice-cream is a true and tried Philly classic. They offer regular icecream flavors, as well as a lot of vegan flavors. This particular brand is a lot of fun since it’s constantly creating new and different flavors like Cookie Butter, Rose Petal, etc.
- Recommendation: Vegan Cookie Butter Icecream
- Address: (they have multiple locations but this is my favorite) 2311 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19125
- Check above for full details. Similar to HCV, Goldie offers tahini milkshakes that are to die for! They have about 5 different flavors and are crazy delicious.
Dottie’s Donuts ($)
- Dottie’s Donuts is the best vegan donut shop around. They offer all the traditional donut flavors, and are so tasty!
- Recommendation: Matcha Donut
- Address: 509 S 6th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
That’s it, guys! While I’m sure there are a few other places I’m missing (feel free to let me know in the comments), the list above is a pretty comprehensive look at Philly’s vegan scene. I’ve personally gone to / eaten at all of the places on this list so I would truly recommend checking out each and every one. I hope this serves as a helpful guide and allows you to navigate through the city of brotherly love on a happy, full stomach. Enjoy!
Comments Off on 25+ of the Best Vegan Restaurants in Philadelphia (a Foodies Guide!)